한국과 스페인을 넘나들다

Crossing Korea and Spain with
physical play
Kang Eun Kyung, the director of the drama company <MU Teatro>

글 백은영 사진 1981seoul 스튜디오

01.jpg

02.jpg
<글마루>와 인터뷰 중인 극단 <무 떼아뜨로>의 강은경 연출

여기 연극계의 한류를 이끄는 이가 있다. 한국의 문화나 설화 등을 소재로 스페인에서 극작가 겸 연출가로 활동 중인 스페인극단 <무 떼아뜨로(MU TEATRO)>의 강은경 연출이다. 한국에서 극작가로 활발한 활동을 펼치던 그는 스페인 출신의 남편을 만나 언어도 문화도 낯선 스페인으로 떠나게 된다. 그런 그가 극단 <무 떼아뜨로> 식구들과 고국 땅을 밟았다. 자신이 연출한 신체연극 <꿈을 삼켰을 때>를 들고 말이다.

스페인 극단 <무 떼아뜨로>를 처음 만난 건 지난 7월이다. 공연을 위해 한국을 찾은 첫날, 여독이 채 풀리지 않은 강은경 연출과 세 명의 배우를 만날 수 있었다. 긴 여행에 지쳤을 법도 한데, 대화하는 내내 밝은 표정을 잃지 않았다. 그렇게 극단 <무 떼아뜨로>와의 첫 번째 만남이 지난 후, 8월 초 신체연극 <꿈을 삼켰을 때(When The Green Swallowed A Dream)>를 관람한 직후 또 한 번의 만남이 이루어졌다.

Here is a lady who is leading Korean wave in the theatrical world. Her name is Kang Eun Kyung, the director of a Spanish troupe, "MU
Teatro", who is working as a playwriter and a director in Spain based on Korean culture or tale. Kang, an actively working playwriter in Korea, met her Spanish husband and moved to his country, Spain, a country of completely different language and culture. And she is now in Korea with the members of MU Teatro, with her physical play called <When The Green Swallowed A Dream>.

It was last July that I first met a Spanish troupe <MU Teatro>. On the very first day that they arrived in Korea for play performance, I got to meet the director Kang Eun Kyung and three actors who seemed not to have taken enough rest after the arrival. Even though they would have been exhausted after a long trip, they were all very bright throughout the conversation. Since the first meeting with <MU Teatro>, I met them again right after seeing the physical play <When The Green Swallowed A Dream> at the beginning of August.

03.jpg

스페인으로 가다
강은경 연출은 한국예술종합학교 연극원 극작과를 졸업하고 <극단 동시대>에서 <신기루> <원더풀 초밥> 등을 쓰며 극작가로서 활발한 활동을 펼쳤던 재원이다. 그런 그가 결혼과 함께 남편을 따라 스페인으로 떠난 건 2002년 무렵이다. 남편은 현재 스페인 말라가에서 교수로 활동하고 있으며, 강 연출 또한 말라가대학교 동양학-한국학과 교수를 맡고 있다.

“스페인인 남편을 따라 무작정 스페인으로 건너가게 됐죠. 처음 몇 년 동안은 스페인어를 배우는 데 집중했던 것 같아요. 생활하려면 언어는 필수니까요. 그렇게 시간이 지나고 보니 뭔가 허전한 거예요. 연극을 계속 하고 싶었던 거죠.”

Going to Spain
Kang completed courses for playwriting department at Korea National University Of Arts and is a talent that used to actively work as a playwriter, writing <Mirage>, <Wonderful Sushi> and so forth at <Troupe Contemporary>. It was in the middle of 2002 when she moved to Spain with her husband right after marriage. Kang's husband is a professor in Malaga, Spain and Kang is also a professor at Oriental studies-Korean studies department at Malaga
University.

“I happened to move to Spain blindly with my Spanish husband. I had focused on learning Spanish for the first few years because language is essential in living. After some time passes, I felt something empty. I think I wanted to keep doing play.”

04.jpg
극단 <무 떼아뜨로>의 신체연극 <꿈을 삼켰을 때> 주인공 3명의 파블로와 금붕어 파블로

그렇게 연극에 목말랐던 강 연출은 2005년 말라가연극학교(La Escuela Superior de Arte Dramático de Málaga) 연극 연출과에 들어가 다시금 연극과의 연을 이어갔다. 극작가, 무대감독, 조명, 조연출을 해봤던 터라 모든 것을 아우를 수 있는 연출을 선택했다. 아직은 낯설기만 한 스페인에서 어쩌면 홀로 시간을 보내는 작가보다는 사람들을 많이 만날 수 있는 연출이 더 매력 있게 다가왔을 터였다.

“이번에 함께 공연하게 된 엘레나(Elena Casanueva), 시몬(Simon Ramos), 마리아(Maria Luisa Tomas)도 모두 학교에서 만난 친구들이에요. 서로 마음이 맞다보니 여러 작품을 함께하게 됐죠.” 지금은 극단 <무 떼아뜨로> 에서 함께 작품을 만들어가고 있어요. 참 좋은 친구들이예요.”

강 연출에 말을 빌리자면 “마음 맞는 참 좋은 친구들”이 모여 2009년 극단 <무 떼아뜨로>를 창단하고, 2010년 창단 공연을 올리게 된다.

Kang who desired for play continued her work for play, starting to take classes at drama directing department at Malaga Drama School
(La Escuela Superior de Arte Dramático de Málaga) in 2005. Since Kang has done playwriting, direction, lighting and assistant director,
she chose direction that embraces every parts in the area. Direction might have attracted her attention even more as she can meet many
people through direction, rather than being a writer and spending time alone in Spain, a country that is yet strange to her.

“I first met my friends Elena Casanueva, Simon Ramos and Maria Luisa Tomas who are performing this play with me, at school. We got
to do many works together as we are congenial friends. We are now working on a new play at <MU Teatro>. They are such good friends."
According to Kang, "These good congenial friends" held a foundation performance in 2010 after establishing a troupe <MU Teatro> in 2009.

05.jpg
언어의 벽을 넘은 감동 스토리

작가는 자기 언어로 글을 쓴다. 글을 쓰다보면 사실 모국어로도 표현하기 힘든 부분이 있기 마련인데, 모국어도 아닌 스페인어로 글을 써야 하는 강 작가에게 있어 창작이란 더욱 힘든 과정일 것이다. 그럼에도 불구하고 강 작가는 여러 편의 작품을 만들며, 스페인에서 한국의 문화를 알리는 데 힘쓰고 있다. 비록 언어도, 문화도 다르지만 인간이 느끼는 기본적인 감정이나 감성은 비슷하기에, 한국적인 정서를 담은 작품도 스페인의 감성을 자극하기에는 충분했다. 2010년 무대에 올린 <바리공주(Princesa Bari)>가 그 중 하나다.

“대부분 권선징악으로 끝나는 서양 작품과는 달리 바리데기 즉, 바리공주의 이야기는 자신을 버린 부모를 용서할 뿐 아니라 병든 부모를 위해 온갖 고생 끝에 서천의 영약을 구해 죽은 부모를 살리는 모습을 보여주죠. 바로 이 용서와 희생이라는 부분이 새롭게 다가갔던 것 같아요.”

강은경 연출의 <바리공주>는 말라가뿐 아니라 세비야, 마드리드에서도 공연을 올릴 정도로 많은 사랑을 받았다. 바로 이 <바리공주>가 극단 <무 떼아뜨로>의 창단 공연이었다. 이번에 한국에서 첫 선을 보인 신체연극 <꿈을 삼켰을 때>에 등장한 세 명의 스페인 배우 역시 <바리공주>에서 함께 호흡을 맞춘 바 있다.

A touching story crossing wall of language

Writer writes with his own words. Even it is hard to express things with native language when writing, Kang must have had a lot of difficulties in creation since she has to write in Spanish.

Nevertheless, Kang has made a number of plays and is striving to inform Korean culture in Spain. Though we have different language and culture, basic emotions and sensibility that all human have are similar, so even a play made with korean sentiment was enough to stimulate the sensitivity of Spain. <Princesa Bari> presented in 2010 is one of the examples.

“Unlike the western works almost ending with good triumphing over the evil, a story of baridegi, that is to say, Princesa Bari forgives her parents who have abandoned her and even saves them from death by illness, getting miraculous medicine from the western sky after going through all sorts of troubles. And I believe that this forgiveness and sacrifice were somewhat fresh to them.”

07-1.jpg
<바리공주(Princesa Bari)> 포스터

“극단 <무 떼아뜨로> 배우들이 한국을 참 좋아해요. 이번이 한국에서의 첫 공연 이기에 설레기도 하고 부담도 됐을 거예요. 비록 말은 통하지 않지만 관객들은 배우들의 표정이나 몸짓, 말투, 노래 등에서 연극이 전달하고자 하는 메시지를 느낄 수 있었을 거라 생각해요.”

극단 <무 떼아뜨로>가 지난 7월 1일부터 8월 3일까지 소극장 씨어터송(theatresong)에서 선보인 신체연극 <꿈을 삼켰을 때>는 ‘신체연극’이라는 말에서 느껴지듯, 대사를 줄이는 대신 배우들의 신체 움직임이라는 새로운 언어로 탄생한 연극이다.

<Princesa Bar i> directed by Kang received tremendous attention so it was held not only in Malaga but in Sevilla and Madrid. <Princesa Bari> was the first play performed by <MU Teatro>. Three actors performed this play are also in <When The Green Swallowed A Dream>, a physical play first presented in Korea.

“Actors of <MU Teatro> really like Korea. They must be thrilled and feel pressured at the same time as it is their first performance in Korea. Although our language is different, I believe that the audience must have understood the messages of the play delivered with actors' face expressions, movements, way of speaking and songs.”

As presumed by the word 'physical play', <When The Green Swallowed A Dream> presented by <MU Teatro> at a small theater 'Theatresong' from last July 1 to August 3 is a play presented with new language through physical movements of actors instead of saying lines.

07.jpg

다양한 움직임과 무용, 마임 등 신체를 적극적으로 활용한 덕에 관객은 배우와 함께 호흡할 수 있게 된다. 비록 배우들끼리 나누는 극도로 축소된 대사를 알아듣지는 못해도, 배우들의 몸짓과 표정, 음악, 노래 등을 통해 극의 전개를 충분히 이해할 수 있게 되는 것이다. 뿐만 아니다. 이번 첫 내한공연을 통해 극단 <무 떼아뜨로>는 스페인의 상징이라 할 수 있는 플라멩코와 음악 등을 통해 간접적으로나마 스페인의 문화를 접할 수 있는 친절
을 베풀었다.

세상으로 나간 연극, 연극으로 들어온 세상

강은경 연출이 들고 온 <꿈을 삼켰을 때>는 주인공 파블로에게 하루 동안 일어난 일을 보여주는 형식이다. 세명의 배우가 동시에 주인공 파블로의 역할을 하거나, 번갈아가며 주변인물을 맡는다. 가면을 통해 주변인물과 주인공을 구분하며, 등·퇴장이 없이 무대 위에서 옷을 갈아입거나 가면을 쓰는 등 관객에게 숨김없이 연극의 모든 것을 보여준다. 이와 같은 장치는 관객으로 하여금 극에 더 몰입하게 하는 동시에 연극이라는 장르에 흥미
를 갖게 만드는 역할을 톡톡히 해낸다.

Audience can breathe with actors with various active physical movements, dances and mimes. Even though the audience cannot understand extremely shortened lines between actors in the play, they get to fully understand the development of play with actors'
movements, face expressions, music and songs. Furthermore, <MU Teatro> even kindly gave us an opportunity to experience Spanish
culture indirectly through flamenco and music which are the symbols of Spain.

Play with the audience together

<When The Green Swallowed A Dream> shows what has happened to Pablo who is the main character of the play. Three actors play
the roles of Pablo at the same time or play surrounding characters in turns. Surrounding characters and the main character are distinguished by mask and actors show everything about play to audience by changing clothes or wearing masks on the stage without
leaving. Such system makes audience be more concentrated on the play and even get more interested in play.

08.jpg

“신체연극은 새로운 시도라고 할 수 있어요. 한 작품을 위해 평균 4~5개월 이상 준비하죠. 더욱이 배우들이 몸을 많이 쓰다 보니 연습량이 상당해요. 이번 작품을 위해 7개월 정도 준비한 것 같아요. 신체의 움직임이 중요해진 만큼 배우들은 플라멩코나 현대무용, 아크로바틱, 마임, 타악기 연주 등 지속적인 트레이닝을 해야 하죠. 대사가 줄어든 만큼 연극성이 더 강한 작품이라고 할 수 있어요.”

첫 내한공연을 성공리에 마친 강은경 연출은 무대를 개방된 공간으로 옮겨 시민들과 함께하는 ‘파블로의 하루’를 만들었다. 지난 8월 23일 인천아트플랫폼에서 진행된 ‘커뮤니티 연극 파블로의 하루’는 극단 <무 떼아뜨로>의 작품 <꿈을 삼켰을 때>를 기반으로 20여 명의 시민들이 참여해 수많은 ‘파블로’를 탄생시켰다. 반복되는 삶, 작고 보잘 것 없다고 느껴지는 삶일지라도 그 속에서 삶의 가치를 다시 한번 되새기길 바라는 의미에서 기획됐다고 한다.

“Physical play can be a new attempt. We have to spend four to five months in general to prepare a single play. Since the play involves a lot of physical movements, actors spend a lot of energy. I think it nearly took us seven months for this play. As physical movement is critical for this kind of play, actors have to continuously practice flamenco, modern dance, acrobatic, mime, percussions and many other things. It has stronger theatricality as there are only a few lines.”

After successfully finishing the first performance in Korea, Kang made 'A Day of Pablo' with citizen, moving the stage to a opened space. 'A Day of Pablo', a community play held at Incheon Art Flatform on August 23 created numerous 'Pablos' with participation of over 20 citizens based on <When The Green Swallowed A Dream> by <MU Teatro>. Kang said that she planned the play to make people to ruminate about the value of life even though it seems boring or small or even tenuous.

09.jpg

10.jpg
극단 <무 떼아뜨로>의 신체연극 <꿈을 삼켰을 때>

누군가는 삶이 마치 연극과 같다고 한다. 연극 같은 삶이든, 혹은 삶 같은 연극이든 지금 이순간 자신이 속한 공간 안에서 삶의 가치를 찾고 깨닫는다면 우리의 삶이 지금보다 행복해지지는 않을까. 마음 한 구석, 더 넓은 세상을 향해 떠나지 못한 아쉬움이 남기도 하지만 강은경 연출의 <꿈을 삼켰을 때>는 “파랑새는 가까이에 있다”는 말을 떠올리게 한다.

마지막으로 한국에서의 모든 일정을 마친 뒤 9월초 스페인으로 돌아가는 강 연출은 10월 말라가에서 올릴 연극 <꼭두각시놀이> 준비에 숨 돌릴 틈이 없다. 몇 년 전 올렸던 작품을 다시 공연하게 된 것이다. 이 외에도 내년 2~4월 말라가대학에서 있을 연극교실 준비에도 바쁘다. 한국과 스페인을 무대로 활발한 활동을 펼치고 있는 강은경 연출. 그의 활동이 한국-스페인 간의 문화교류에 큰 보탬이 됐으면 하는 바람을 전한다.

극단 홈페이지 http://muteatro.com

Flatform on August 23 created numerous 'Pablos' with participation of over 20 citizens based on <When The Green Swallowed A Dream> by <MU Teatro>. Kang said that she planned the play to make people to ruminate about the value of life even though it seems boring or small or even tenuous.

Some says that life is like a play. Either life is like a play or a play is like life, I believe that our lives can be happier if we discover and understand the true value of our lives inside the space that we belong to. Although there is a feeling of something lacking in life for not going into the wider world, however, <When The Green Swallowed A Dream> reminds me of the word "A bluebird is near".

Kang will go back to Spain at the beginning of September after finishing all schedules in Korea and is still very busy working on <Puppet Play>, a play to be presented in October in Malaga. She gets to present the play which was performed a few years ago, again. She is also busy preparing for a drama class to be held at Malaga University between February and April next year. I hope that works of Kang Eun Kyung, the director actively working in both Korea and Spain, can be of huge help to cultural exchange between Korea and Spain. (homepage : http://muteatro.com/)